G.H. Coates, LLC

Ideas That Work

[Under Construction]









In June, Dad, Mike U, and I drove down for a whirlwind trip.  It was absolutely the most aggressive trip to date in terms of accomplishments and it went off without a glitch.  The big issues to resolve were the electrical, both 120volt and 12 volt, hydraulic steering arrangement for front of main engine, and navigation lights.  The 2-71 GenSet works, but is very LOUD, and it eats about 8 gallons of diesel fuel an hour!!!  That's more than the Atlas!!!  So I decided to find a way to run the hydraulic steering from the Atlas.  Since the Atlas reverses, and a hydraulic pump driven from the main would necessarily reverse also a way was devised using four cartridge check valves to prevent the hydraulic flow from reversing.  We also hung a 12volt 150amp truck alternator on the front of the Atlas for house power.  In house 120 volt AC is accomplished by a 1000 watt inverter.   Navigation lights were wired for 12 volt, and we used standard automotive sockets and lamps. So the work begins...

Thursday and Friday, June 26-27, 2003

We three left the shop around 7:00am and drove straight through to Jennings, LA.  23 hours.  We pulled in and ate at Waffle House and headed down to the South Yard.  We were on the tug by 9:00am, Friday.  The yard had moved the tug over to an unused slip, so we had to unload the truck across a wet, muddy field and jump across the dock to the tug.   Mike set right to his work, and basically rewired the entire tug.  Dad worked on the mechanical things.  I organized with the yard to move the tug around to a better location.


We took on 200 gallons of fuel Friday and marked the fuel tank off in 50 gallon increments.  By the end of the day on Friday, we were very tired but took time to enjoy our work.  The lights looked great!!!


Saturday, June 28, 2003

Woke up and down to the yard early.  More work on electrical, mostly house lights and wheelhouse electrics.  Tried out the hydraulics and they work fine!!!  The wheelhouse is shaping up nicely.  Put together the table, and the shelves for electronics.  Robert and Bob C joined in on the fun around lunch.  It was nice to have them on board.  We really pushed to have the tug legal for a short trip Sunday.  Robert and Bob C stayed in Jennings.

Sunday, June 29, 2003

Sunday morning we all went down to the yard for a short trip.  A fellow Named Merrill B joined us and about 2:00pm we started down the river.  The boat had a bit of a shake, but we had a good time.  We averaged 4mph and traveled about 7 miles.  We had some technical difficulties, and after a short delay we headed back to the yard.  It was a good day!!!!




When we returned to the yard, Frank and Marge were there to welcome us.  Bob C, Merrill B and Robert had to head home.

Monday, June 30, 2003

Today we mostly packed up, took notes and headed for home.  We achieved everything we set out to do.  Thanks Mike U.  We couldn't have done it without your help.