G.H. Coates, LLC

Ideas That Work

[Under Construction]











Another whirlwind trip in November to move the Tug to the yard in Houma, LA.  Because of the size, I've put thumbnails of the pictures beside the descriptions to make the page more manageable.  Please click on these for larger images and use your browser BACK button to return to this page.

Wednesday - Thursday, November 12-13, 2003

Mom, Dad and I left from the shop around 11:00am in the truck.  We headed to Roanoke, VA to pick up Bob H and met him around 5:30pm.  Things went very well and we arrived in Jennings about 9:00am on Thursday.  Mom had never been to Louisiana so the first part of the day we drove around and gave her the fifty cent tour.  We then went down to the Tug and started unloading the truck and getting things ready for the trip to Houma.  Robert and Bob C got there about 3:30pm and fell right in with the preparations.

Just Arrived 02.JPG (63186 bytes) Crew loading boat 01.JPG (63321 bytes) Crew loading boat 03.JPG (59426 bytes) Arrival 01.jpg (788330 bytes) Arrival 02.jpg (687032 bytes)

After a hard days work, we all went to the Hotel and got cleaned up to eat at Mike's Seafood which has become the favorite place to eat and relax.  Mike and his crew really know how to cook.  We always tell them that it's worth the 1500 mile drive to come and get some good food. 

Mike Walker's Seafood 02.JPG (58377 bytes)  Mike Walker's Seafood 03.JPG (58382 bytes)

Friday, November 14, 2003

And we're off!!!!  Down and on the Tug by 6:30am to do the final stuff and I pushed the start button at 7:15am.  Well, we were kinda stuck.  It took some time to wiggle free, but by 8:00am we backed out of the slip and were on our way!!!

Departure Day 01.jpg (707973 bytes) Departure Day 02.jpg (589993 bytes) Departure Day 03.jpg (785863 bytes) Departure Day 04.jpg (667704 bytes) Departure Day 05.jpg (680061 bytes)

We really made good time.  After the Atlas warmed up, I pulled her up a few clicks and we cruised along at 6.3 mph.  We cleared the Lake Arthur Bridge in an hour and a half at 8 mph.  Bob C kept us all very well fed with fine shipboard home cooking.  He managed to do this in a stripped out galley, on a propane camp stove.

Mermentau River 01.JPG (194878 bytes)  scan0049.jpg (1013644 bytes) Bob H Mermentau River 02.JPG (206940 bytes) Mermentau River 04.JPG (206905 bytes) Mermentau River 05.JPG (197579 bytes)

In Lake Arthur, Dad primed the hydraulic pump and we shut off the 2-71.  Worked out great and fuel economy went way up.  The Gulf Intracoastal Waterway was in site and we turned into the ditch at 11:15.  There was a lot of traffic, but radio communication was excellent.

Mermentau-IGW.JPG (195157 bytes) Mallard Bay.jpg (194569 bytes)

We waved off fuel at Gueydan.  Mom and Robert were there.  This was about 12:15pm and at 8 mph.

Talen's Fuel Dock Gueydan 02.jpg (195005 bytes) Talen's Fuel Dock Gueydan 01.jpg (194315 bytes) Passing Talen's 01.jpg (764921 bytes) Passing Talen's 02.jpg (687856 bytes) Talen's Dock.jpg (766643 bytes)

Forked Island bridge was the next big landmark.  The scenery was beautiful and always a tow to pass, so time flew by.  It was 2:50pm when we passed.

Forked Island 01.jpg (192115 bytes)

The next big event was the Leyland Bowman Lock.  It was an interesting experience.  Just like being run into a quarter mile long cattle chute with twenty other huge tows.  I'm glad they are better drivers than I... (and are friendly!!)  Just after the lock is Intracoastal City.  We planned to stay there for the night. 

Leyland Bowman Lock.jpg (177030 bytes) Intracoastal City 01.jpg (193719 bytes) Intracoastal City 02.jpg (189330 bytes) Intracoastal City 03.jpg (183168 bytes)

We tied up at Shell Morgan Fuel Dock around 5:00pm tired and ready to take a break.  There were a lot of things to discuss and talk about over dinner.  We took 200 gallons of fuel and moved the boat to a slip for the night.  Mom and Robert had arranged a room in Abbeville for the night.

Shell Morgan Office.jpg (690319 bytes)  Shell Morgan 02.jpg (685262 bytes) Shell Morgan 01.jpg (738451 bytes)

We had traveled 67 miles in 9 hours.  Averages 7.5 mph.  Not bad I think.

Saturday, November 15, 2003

We were up and out to Morgan City by 6:00am.  If you could get both eyes open at the same time, the sunrise was really something to see.  The Tug tied up with the lights on was great.  It kinda looked like it sat there ready for us to continue on the trip.

Sunrise 01.jpg (651928 bytes)  Sunrise 02.jpg (713429 bytes)  Sunrise 03.jpg (605475 bytes)

The Morgan's are nice folks and in the morning, Ted Morgan and I had the opportunity to talk a bit.  He gave me the fifty cent tour of one of his tugs and I had a great time talking with him.  It was a beautiful morning and traffic was light.

Ted Morgan 01.jpg (637121 bytes)  Six Pack Tow.jpg (567346 bytes) Robt & Dad 01.jpg (617935 bytes)

About 7:15am, we backed out of the slip and headed east.  Traffic was light, and  Mr. Morgan indicated that Houma was a hard 12 hour travel from Intracoastal City.  That would put us in around dark if everything went well.  I wanted to be in Houma before dark so I wasted no time notching up the Atlas to full ahead. 

Avery Island was the first landmark at about 9:00am.  The Island really sticks out above the swamps.  This is where the famous Tabasco Sauce is made.  Through this part of the trip, we were making about 9.5mph!!! 

Avery Island 01.jpg (188899 bytes)  Avery Island 02.jpg (192642 bytes)  Seagull's off Avery Island.jpg (191303 bytes)

Weeks Island is another salt dome.  These are interesting geological features.  From what I understand, these salt deposits are formed and push their way up through the swamp.  Then they are mined for the salt. 

Weeks Island 01.jpg (193287 bytes) 

The majority of the trip from Weeks Island to Berwick Bay is Cypress swamp.  The waterway is pretty narrow with few landmarks other than trees and passing tows.  We made great time, traveling 30 miles in 3 hours 15 minutes.  During this time, the crew got the head working, painted a few things, and organized gear onboard.

At Berwick Bay, the traffic is controlled and I had to call for clearance to Morgan City.  Just before the Bayou Bouef Lock, Robert was waiting to be picked up.  Morgan City is where the John Arthur was documented from, and we all wondered how long it had been since the Tug had come through the area. 

Berwick Bay 01.JPG (190142 bytes)  Berwick Bay 02.JPG (179606 bytes)  Berwick Bay 03.JPG (179993 bytes)  Morgan City 02.JPG (178980 bytes)  Morgan City 07.jpg (610288 bytes)

A fellow named Robert Anealy happened to be passing through in a small modified sailboat.  He had traveled all the way from the Great Lakes in this boat, and was heading to the east coast.  I think his plans were to travel up the Hudson and Erie canal back to the Great Lakes.  Robert had talked to him and he was kind enough to bring Robert out to the Tug.

Robt Aneely 01.jpg (674519 bytes) Robt Aneely 02.jpg (705760 bytes) Robt Aneely 03.jpg (641920 bytes) Robt Aneely 04.jpg (440384 bytes) Robt Aneely 05.jpg (493250 bytes)

We ended up spending about an hour waiting for the Bayou Bouef Lock.  Robert M joined us for the remainder of the trip to Houma.  The lock Tenders were very interested to see the John Arthur.  We cruised on through and into the Morgan City area.

Bayou Bouef Lock.jpg (189122 bytes) Morgan City 05.jpg (195928 bytes) Morgan City 01.jpg (187752 bytes) Morgan City 04.jpg (198566 bytes)

It was getting late in the day and the bayou was beautiful with the long shadows.  I was beginning to worry about pulling into Houma in the dark but there was nothing to do except keep going.  During this part of the trip, I really got to spend some time on deck talking and visiting with everyone.  I think all of us took a turn in the wheelhouse.  Traffic was very light, and the radio was quite.  The scenery was absolutely wonderful.

Bayou Cocodrie 01.jpg (188821 bytes)  Bayou Cocodrie 03.jpg (193660 bytes)  Bob C Bayou Cocodrie 01.jpg (178965 bytes)  Bob H Bayou Cocodrie.jpg (190455 bytes)  Robt & G3 Bayou Cocodrie.jpg (186534 bytes)

Sunset was very impressive.  Now I started to worry like an old woman.  Right at sunset, the traffic picked up a bit.  The commercial tows were usually very easy to get along with, once I learned the radio talk. 

Sunset Lake Cocodrie 01.jpg (186828 bytes)  Sunset Lake Cocodrie 02.jpg (193360 bytes)  Sunset Lake Cocodrie 03.jpg (188187 bytes)  Sunset Lake Cocodrie 04.jpg (190914 bytes)

And then it was dark.  The radio talk changes after dark.  It's a subtle change that takes some getting used to.  It seems the captains would break the waterway into sections about ten miles long and coordinate passing and movement within these sections.  The John Arthur must have 'looked' pretty strange to these guys with radar.  A fairly small tug, but a fast moving boat. (We were moving right at 10mph at this point!!!)  I didn't answer or participate in these orchestrations at first, but by using the old chainsaw in the screen door for effect trick, I was coaxed into participation.

Houma was still an hour out, and I was glad we took the time to get the spotlight working.  Mr. Chaisson came down and unlocked the gate to the yard and Mom was waiting for us there.  There was a lot of confusion as to where we were supposed to tie up, but all in all everything went very well.  By the time we secured the Tug, it was almost 9:00pm.  Time for a frosty adult beverage!!!!

We had traveled 93 miles in 12 hours and 15 minutes that day.

Sunday, November 16, 2003

We all actually slept in till 8:00am on Sunday.  Bob H has family in Houma, and his cousins met us at breakfast.  The bunch of us headed over to the yard to meet with Mr. Chaisson and pack up to head home.   Mom took Bob C and Robert  back to Morgan City to get Robert's truck.  Dad took notes and packed up stuff.  Bob H took his family for the fifty cent tour of the Tug.  Mr. Chaisson and I walked around and discussed business.  It did feel good to hear someone as knowledgeable as he is tell us we did great getting to Houma.  And what great shape the boat was in.

scan0008.jpg (740019 bytes)  scan0005.jpg (638897 bytes)  scan0003.jpg (660187 bytes)  scan0002.jpg (681635 bytes)

After Mom got back from Morgan City and we all loaded the truck, it was just a short 23 hour drive home...

Total, we had traveled 157 miles in 21 hours and 15 minutes, in the 60 year old tug, under the power of the mighty Atlas, using 185 gallons of fuel while averaging 7.3 mph!!!!